As a Hairstylist I meet a lot of people and we often talk about what they are using on their hair in the shower. I have heard on more than one occasion that a client may not use professional products because they ” just can’t tell the difference, so why pay so much more.” I honestly empathize with this… before my fellow stylists flip the page let me explain myself.
- Professional products do not = instant gratification. Most of the best professional products out there are designed scientifically to enter the hair shaft or the skins pores and actually make it healthier. The products are a specific molecular makeup and will repair, smooth, moisturize, protect on a molecular level. This is the long game we are talking about. Fixing damage and softening coarse hair takes time. Most of us want to put something on our hair, rinse, dry and see an immediate miracle. Some over the counter product’s will include ingredients that will band aid your hair issues. You are fixing nothing but it can satisfy your instant gratification for hair that feels and looks better even if its really not.
- OTC products can build up. Those over the counter products that make your hair feel better instantly use ingredients that coat the hair shaft. Glossing over your hairs health problems might make it feel better but those types of ingredients typically build up on your hair over time. Suddenly your hair begins to feel even more brittle days after you wash it. You find yourself saying ” Oh I need some more of that awesome OTC product that makes my hair feel so soft. ” As you use it more often the build up hardens and begins to break your hair. It is a vicious cycle. Build up is not healthy hairs friend.
- What goes on your skin also ends up in your blood stream. Professional products are held to a different standard. The FDA does NOT regulate the beauty industry as closely as we would like. Over the counter or products found at the drug store can make claims on their packaging that are not entirely true. For example boxed hair color can claim they are ” Ammonia Free ” as long as they contain below a certain percentage of ammonia. ” Sulfate Free ” and ” All Natural ” shampoo and conditioner is usually NOT entirely sulfate free or all natural. These companies have to use ingredients that allow for their price point. All businesses are looking to make a profit. If your products are inexpensive it probably does not contain the highest quality ingredients. Those ingredients are going directly into your blood stream and you are potentially using them multiple times per week when you wash your hair or face. It is something to consider.
- Licensed Professionals sell pro products. This means you are getting sort of a prescription for your hair and skin. An expert is suggesting something that they believe will give you the greatest possible benefit. Isn’t that so much better than groping around in the dark looking for something that will hopefully work for you? As a side note, if you purchase your professional products from a licensed stylist you are literally supporting a human being as a small business instead of lining the pockets of large scale corporations. Your small local business deserves as much support as they can get. Love on your stylists and salons.
- Pro products are less risky. Since you are purchasing your professional products from a licensed stylist and / or your local salon. They usually consider it their prescription for your hair or skin. When you go to a doctor if they give you a prescription that does not work as well as you hope you can go back in and get it adjusted. You can do the same at your salon and they will usually exchange the products for another at no additional charge. This is important because finding the perfect regimen for your hair or skin can take time and you may need to try a couple of things before you find your magical mixture. It is nice to be able to experiment with less risk and a little guidance.
This isn’t your Ted Talk on using pro products but I feel like it should be! Maybe their people will reach out to me one day but until then you can follow me on social media for continued advice on using the best possible products. Things that support your health and well being as well work for your hair and skin. I love doing personal consultations and offering my advice to people on the hunt for their dream beauty regimen. I can do virtual and in person consultations. Feel free to book one of those via my website http://www.pommespa.com and select the book online tab looking for the service titled ” Complimentary Consultation “. Until then I’m wishing you the happiest hair in the land and all the self care in the world.