We filmed this tutorial with our Makeup Artist Ashlyn Lane to give you really good advice on your eye makeup application. You can book a one on one tutorial with her through Pomme Salon & Spa by calling 512-894-2611.
Hey there ORANGE lipstick here. Just checking in with all my bright and shining glory. Ever thought about slipping a little bit of this magic right on those perfect lips? No. Oh. That’s really sad. Lets talk about that…
There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to your lips. Most people choose to shy away from colors that are very bright or obvious. I am going to shine a light on your choices by breaking it down for you technically because there is a science to your color choices.
Introducing the color wheel. A basic color wheel consists of your primary colors. Red, blue and yellow. All other colors come from mixing these three OG’s. When you start to put these colors together you can see that you get your purples greens and oranges. The colors on either side of any specific color are called complimentary colors. This means that they look good together.
The next thing to know is that there are different tones. They can really be categorized into 3 areas. There are cool tones, warm tones and neutral tones. The key to finding your PERFECT LIP COLOR is to figure out what your skin’s under tone is. I have a pink undertone in my skin. This is why I flush easily and have some skin sensitivities. This is common in people with fair skin.
The next tidbit is that anything on the yellow, orange and red side are warm tones. Pink is actually red and white which means there is a warmth to that tone as well. Since pink is basically red that means I actually have a warm undertone despite how fair-skinned I am.
Are you totally bored yet? Hang in there because I promise you will really appreciate this when you find your signature color. So if you look at the color on either side of red which we have established is my skin’s undertone you can see that the complimentary colors are purple and orange. So you have seen me in Orange lipstick. Let’s test the theory with a little photo of my lips decked out in purple. The key here is to select a purple on the warm side. Anything to blue will actually be cool which is the opposite of my skins warm undertone. Blue is fun and I rock it on occasion but I admit it does not look as good as the purple and orange lipsticks I use.
Surprise! Doesn’t it look good. I know you had your doubts. I’m not mad. Now that you know you can determine what your skin’s undertone is you can try out all the lips shades you never thought you could wear! For example if you have that olive skin it is actually a green undertone. Try a golden lipstick shade or you will be surprised to find that a blue or teal lip color might look good on you! I know it’s daring but you can try it out at home on a Sunday when nobody is watching.
Ultimately determining your undertone is key to finding your complimentary colors. If you don’t know how to start all you have to do is book a consultation with your stylist. They can help you discover all kinds of fun things about your look. This same concept is transferable to your hair and clothes to. You can book your consultation on our website at http://www.pommespa.com with any of our amazing stylists. Until then Peace. Love. Pomme.
There are a million reasons I believe we should be getting our hair and makeup done professionally at least 4 times a year but New Years Eve is especially important. The truth is that it has much less to do with they way you look and a lot to do with the way you feel. How you feel on New Years Eve really sets the tone for the entire year. My personal advice would be DO SOMETHING. Anything really. Even if your plan is to stay home and put your kids to bed on time, try to make it special. Maybe a New Years bed time book, a new tradition with your kids or a home date with your partner after the kids are down for the night. Maybe you need to make more time for yourself and a little alone time is just the ticket… All of these options are more than viable and can catapult you into a succesful and happy year ahead.
If you are going out I would like to suggest a New Years Eve pampering sess. Hair, Makeup, Nails WHATEVER makes YOU feel good. New Years Eve should be about self-care. There are a hundred holidays for everybody else. Hell. Even on your birthday there is usually friends and family who want to celebrate your life with you. New Years Eve though, is an unclaimed holiday. Take it for yourselves!
With that in mind here are 5 reasons why you should get your hair and makeup professionally done if you are going out on New Years Eve.
- New Year Beautiful You. It’s important to feel like the most beautiful version of ourselves every once in a while. While we can get busy with life, kids, commuting, careers, hobbies, friends and families it is really important to just feel good about YOUrself. Let a professional help. They know what they are doing. If you have a regular hairstylist you already trust then start there. They know your style and what you think is beautiful. Let them make your inner beauty shine out and start the year off right.
- You can often use your shampoo / blow out as an opportunity to learn something. Ask your stylist for some tips on how to recreate the look yourself. Whenever you take the time to put some effort into your appearance you give the impression to the world that you give a sh#@. Sometimes that can prove invaluable. When you are trying to advance in your career or teach your kids about self-care and hygiene for example. I know it is easier to roll out of bed and let your hair air dry and trust me I do myself at least 95% of the time but this year I’m thinking I can try to take care of me a little bit more. That starts with giving myself the sleep I need to get up early enough to take care of my body.
- The salon is a really valuable networking tool. It might not pop into your head as the first place you would go to meet people but I can’t tell you have many bonds have been forged in a hair salon. You would be surprised who you can come across by spending a couple of hours at the salon. Are you in real estate? Somebody the next chair over might be desperate to sell their house and looking FOR YOU! Need family photos taken? Your hairstylist or Makeup Artist knows everybody. Strike up simple, friendly conversations with kindred spirits and let that carry you right into the New Year.
- Good Energy. If you love your local salon then that place should be full of good energy which is the best place to be when you are getting ready to ring in a New Year. Good conversations, good vibes, great hair, beautiful makeup and a PERFECT New Year. Let it all rub off on you and then carry that to your party or date and revel in all that is good as you celebrate your way through New Years Eve.
- Relaxation. The salon experience can be as relaxing as it is fun. There is nothing better than entering one of your favorite places and feeling completely relaxed and at home. Let your stylist take you into their hands while you sit back and enjoy the company while you relax it out. Emerge beautiful, bright and totally chill. So ready to take on another year.
My last piece of advice is to choose a stylist that you trust. It might not be the night to use that Groupon you bought on a whim for a really cheap haircut. If your going to get the most out of the experience you have to feel comfortable enough to let your stylist take care of you. A really good stylist should be doing an in-depth consultation the first time they see you. If you’re visiting someone new on NYE just take your time talking with them before hand and get comfortable with their plans for your look.
Other than that have fun, party hard, enjoy your life and Happy New Year!